In March 1836, 13 determined men and women received permission from the Territorial Legislature of Michigan to own and operate their own church. This was Detroit’s seventh major church (after St. Anne Catholic, First Presbyterian, Central Methodist, St. Paul Episcopal Cathedral, First Baptist, St. Mary Catholic). This downtown Detroit church is the oldest religious institution owned by blacks in the Midwest. Second Baptist claimed a mission to free the enslaved and have them enjoy the full privileges of American citizenship.
our Interim pastor
Rev. Dr. Cornelius Williams